By April 1940, membership of the club stood at 84 men and 42 ladies. The times were reflected by granting courtesy of the course to visiting members of the forces, while members of the club who were also serving in the war had their subs waived. Some of the course fairways had to be broken up to render flat areas of ground unsafe for landing aircraft by the enemy.
Needless to say, the club finances did suffer during the war but due to the generosity and capability of some of the members, none more so than G B Fletcher (Captain during the War), the bank overdraft was similar to that of June 30, 1939. However, much work was required to reinstate the course to its former glory.
A new committee was formed later known as the council comprising of five members all putting up money to help finance the club. It was decided that the the five directors should function as a finance committee to whom all expenditure would be deferred. By July that year, the course was restored to 18 holes.
By 1951 the Lancashire Union of Golf Clubs reduced the Standard Scratch Score to 72 and interest from visiting parties became prominent, thus indicating the progress made to the course.
The visiting parties were to be charged 4 shillings per player (20p for those who don't remember 'old' money). Through the next years the course and facilities continued to improve and by 1960 membership stood at 128 men and 73 ladies. The sixties saw many improvements to the course and to the rulings regarding safety procedures while playing the course.
The eleventh tee was moved and a protective screen set up to the left of the sixteenth tee following a "near miss". This showed an increase in the amount of traffic the course was taking and further measures started to be taken to protect the course. By 1972 there was a waiting list of 30 members even though subscriptions were increased vacancies being filled by selection as they occurred.
By now the course was well established and although improvements were made to the course, as is still the case today, attention turned towards the clubhouse. The clubhouse is a listed building and as such any alterations have to be in keeping with the tradition of the building. To support an increasing membership, facilities within the clubhouse are also important.
Although golf at Chorley is very sociable there is no doubting the competitiveness amongst the members and more attention is paid to playing golf than attending social functions. Revenue to the club had not been good from social events. Facilities had to improve and during the seventies this was done. The internal make-up of the clubhouse was improved including the introduction of a Games room housing a full size snooker table.
In 1989 the president, George Birtill, opened a new extension to the clubhouse thus allowing internal changes to the facilities of the clubhouse. A new bar was constructed on the first floor which allowed the gents and ladies locker rooms to reside on the ground floor. The restaurant was moved and the whole club redecorated. It was said that the club was now entering a new era. Good teamwork throughout the development of the club has been prominent throughout the years. Much of the work to produce such a club has been volunteered by members past and present and still the work continues. A new irrigation and drainage system has been installed and another extension to the clubhouse was built in 2000/2001. This has brought the facilities at the course to rank amongst the top in the North West and has made the membership very proud.